Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. 1 Peter 1.3-5
Is this all there is? When we look around at the world it is impressive and alluring, and yet, it leaves us with a feeling of fulfillment. Even those who achieve success beyond anything we can imagine still have this nagging feeling: there has to be more. God promises us a future that will not only be better than the world we know, but a future that will make sense of even the greatest anguish we currently suffer. He has a future planned that is not just magnificent, but is a planned finale that will complete the revelation of God to His people. How can anything undo all of the destruction? What will happen in the future?
1. What part of the text or sermon had the greatest impact on you? Where were you most encouraged? Most intrigued? Most challenged?
2. How does the Bible describe the coming of the end (2 Peter 3.1-13)?
3. How does God reveal Himself in the process of glorification?
4. How does this promised future give us confidence that we belong to God?
5. What do we lose when we give up the hope of future glory?
6. How can dwelling on our future glory help us in this life? When things are going well? When we are suffering?
7. How does an understanding of future glory help us to persevere? What happens when you lose sight of the future? What pulls your attention to the present?