And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. | Colossians 1.9-14
This last Sunday, the elders presented a list of resolutions borne out of Paul’s challenge to the Colossian church. These 6 resolutions are not a one time reminder, or something to try for half of January and then give up on; these are 6 aims that we must keep in front of ourselves AT ALL TIMES. These are not things to just do, but an orientation of our life. That said, here are the 6 priorities we need to apply:
- REGAIN a sense of passion for our salvation | we were made to be with God and He made it possible. We must never lose the joy that comes from being freed from death.
- SET a plan to fill ourselves with the wisdom of God | the best thing for us is more of God and He tell us how we can get it…we must plan to pursue Him.
- FIND the place where you can bear fruit through faithfulness | take the overwhelming sense of salvation and apply it to how you treat others. People who have been saved live with open eyes and open hands.
- SACRIFICE to the place you find | we should not be so reticent to commit and so quick to give up. If God is valuable and He calls us to love, than we can keep loving and giving when it is hard.
- LEARN to enjoy the rhythm of the Christian life | God promises us that He will meet us in this rhythm, even in the low points. Staying on rhythm is about continuing to trust that God is the answer (not us).
- REST in the qualification of God | God gives peace in the midst struggle. He gives assurance when we feel the most insecure. He gives us the ability to rest by allowing us to set down the need to define ourselves. Living in His rhythm gives us the guarantee that we belong to Him.
We then ended with 2 Peter 1 where Paul once again promises us that committing to this WILL BE EFFECTIVE:
For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins. Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall. For in this way there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Therefore I intend always to remind you of these qualities, though you know them and are established in the truth that you have. I think it right, as long as I am in this body, to stir you up by way of reminder, since I know that the putting off of my body will be soon, as our Lord Jesus Christ made clear to me. And I will make every effort so that after my departure you may be able at any time to recall these things. | 8-15
The elders prayer for Communion Church in 2016 is that you are willing to get on board with this pursuit.